BAL DPM is a multi-purpose two component, solvent free, low viscosity epoxy coating for use as a primer, DPM and waterproof coating prior to the application of ceramic tiles or natural stone.
- Surfaces must be hard, sound and free of dust, laitance, dirt and other barrier materials such as paint, plaster and adhesive residues. Any renders, screeds or levelling/smoothing compounds not resistant to moisture must also be removed. Use a suitable de-greaser to remove grease, oil and other surface contamination if required, followed by mechanical preparation.
- Substrates must be SR1 level or better (no deviation greater than 3mm under a 2m straight edge at any point)
- Substrates must be load-bearing and free from deflection.
- Existing cement:sand screeds and concrete (below 98% RH)
- New ‘green‘ cement:sand screeds (below 98% RH)
- Anhydrite/calcium sulphate screeds (below 87%RH)
- Cement:sand rendered walls
- The individual components should be thoroughly stirred before being mixed together.
- The entire contents of the hardener container should be poured into the resin container and the two materials mixed thoroughly for at least 3 minutes using a heavy-duty slow speed drill and spiral paddle.
- Some of the mixed components should be re-introduced back into the harder container in order to activate any residue and then pour back into the large mixing vessel and re-mix for 30 seconds.
|Pack Size||Use For||Thickness*||Trowel||Coverage||Sand Required|
|6 litres BAL DPM||DPM||1 coat at 350 microns||BAL B2 V notched trowel||13.5m²||N/A|
|6 litres BAL DPM||Primer||1 coat at 200 microns||BAL A2 V notched trowel||24m²||Sand blind when tiling|
|6 litres BAL DPM||Waterproofing layer||2 coats at 200 microns||BAL A2 V notched trowel||12m²||Sand blind second coat when tiling|
|25Kg BAL SAND||On primer or second coat for waterproofing||N/A||N/A||25m²|
|BAL TAPE||Wall/floor corners, junctions||N/A||N/A||10metre roll||N/A|
* Coverage may vary dependant on nature and flatness of the substrate
1. Apply one even coat of the mixed BAL DPM using BAL B2 V notched trowel.
2. Whilst the BAL DPM is still wet, the serration ridges should be flattened out with a long handled short pile paint roller initially pre‐wetted with the mixed BAL DPM before applying to the serration ridges. The minimum application thickness is 350 microns. NOTE: If pin holes are showing, a second coat should be applied after a minimum of 8 hours. The second coat should be applied at 90° to the first coat.
3. If tiling onto the DPM, a priming coat will be required (see below).
Install Priming coat
1. Apply an even coat of the mixed BAL DPM using the BAL A2 V NOTCHED SPREADER over the prepared base or DPM coating (see table for trowel recommendations).
2. Whilst the BAL DPM is still wet, the serration ridges should be flattened out with a long handled short pile paint roller initially pre‐wetted with the mixed BAL DPM before applying to the serration ridges. The application thickness should be 200 microns.
3. Whilst the BAL DPM is still wet, blind with BAL SAND at a rate of 1kg/m2 and allow to cure for a minimum of 8hr at 200C. IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure sufficient sand/aggregate covers the entire area and no BAL DPM is visible.
4. The following day remove the excess BAL SAND from the surface using a vacuum cleaner to provide a suitable key for BAL LEVEL MAX or BAL FLEXIBLE CEMENT BASED ADHESIVE.
Install waterproofing coat
1. Fill any gaps of >1mm with a suitable BAL cement based adhesive and allow the adhesive to cure.
2. Apply BAL TAPE to all corners and edges, with the centre of the tape fold aligned with corners or edges.
3. Apply BAL DPM using the A2 trowel.
4. Whilst the BAL DPM is still wet, the serration ridges should be flattened out with a long handled short pile paint roller initially pre‐wetted with the mixed BAL DPM before applying to the serration ridges. The application thickness should be 200 microns.
5. Allow the first coat to cure for >8 hours.
6. Apply the second coat as above. If the installation is to be tiled, the second coat should be blinded with BAL SAND at a rate of 1kg/m2.
7. IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure sufficient sand/aggregate covers the entire area and no BAL DPM is visible.
8. The following day remove the excess BAL SAND from the surface using a vacuum cleaner to provide a suitable key for a BAL FLEXIBLE CEMENT BASED ADHESIVE.
TECHNICAL ADVISORY SERVICE
For free expert guidance on the use of BAL products, or any aspect of ceramic tiling with BAL products, contact the BAL TECHNICAL ADVISORY SERVICE on 01782 591120.
THE BAL 25 YEAR GUARANTEE
BAL products are supplied with a 25 year product guarantee. For further details and/or copies please contact the Company’s marketing department.
The customer must verify the suitability of any information, opinion, recommendation or advice (“information”) provided by the Company for the particular application for which any goods are intended to be used and the Company accepts no liability (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) whatsoever for any loss, damage or expense arising from the misuse of any information it supplies, nor for the use of any information in or for applications which are unsuitable or inappropriate. Building Adhesives Ltd operates a continuous research and development programme and reserves the right to alter or to update information from time to time.
“Note: Any advice, opinion or information is given to assist the use of the Company’s products on the basis that the user will ensure its suitability for the application intended. In particular the Company cannot accept liability for loss or damage which may arise from incorrect use of its products or from poor workmanship. The Company operates a continuous research and development programme and reserves the right to update information without notice.”
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- TN 01.23 - Use of Cement Based Products in Warm Weather
- TN 02.23 Tiling to Asphalt Floors
- TN 03.23 - Use of Primers and Bonding Agents
- TN 04.23 - Ceramic & Natural Stone Floor Tiling to Heated Sub-floors
- TN 05.23 Tiling A Small External Patio & Ground Floor Terrace
- TN 06.23 Common Issues With Grouting
- TN 07.23 Deflection of Sub-Floors and Rigid Finish
- TN 08.23 Screed Drying Times
- TN 09.23 Types of Movement in Tiling Installations
- TN 10.23 - Heavily Trafficked Floors & Hard Wheeled Traffic