The mixing of water with a cement-based powder adhesive creates a complex ‘chemical’ reaction (cement hydration).
As with any chemical reaction, the speed at which it takes place will very much depend upon the site conditions and the temperatures involved at the time of mixing and applying.
The hydration of cement is also an ‘exothermic’ reaction i.e. gives out heat.
Both standard setting and rapid setting adhesives can be affected.
In simple terms the working time and the setting time will vary with temperature:
• Higher temperatures = shorter working and setting times.
• Lower temperatures = longer working and setting times.
The ideal working temperature quoted for most cement-based tile adhesives is often based on an average room temperature of 20°C.
The following simple tips and general advice will help you to increase the working and setting of BAL products during warm weather resulting in higher room/site temperatures.
1) Make sure the powder is stored in a cool/dry place before use.
2) Keep the water used “chilled” to cool temperatures.
3) Work in well ventilated areas.
4) Mix smaller quantities of adhesive, typically, i.e. about 3-4 kg at a time. The more adhesive you mix the hotter the mix will become and the faster it will set.
5) If using a drill mixer, turn the setting to slow speed and gently blend in the powdered adhesive to the water. The faster you mix the materials; the more friction heat is created and the quicker the adhesive will ‘set’.
6) Always add the cement based adhesive powder to the water. This makes mixing much easier and avoids lumps forming thus preventing over mixing.
7) Do not mix the adhesive in direct sunlight and if practicable, mix in an adjacent area, if cooler than the area in which you are tiling.
8) Tiling should not be carried out if the temperature of the room is more than 35°C.
9) Ideal temperature range for fixing ceramic tiles are recommended to be between 5°C and 25°C.
TECHNICAL ADVISORY SERVICE
For free expert guidance on the use of BAL products, or any aspect of ceramic tiling with BAL products, contact the BAL TECHNICAL ADVISORY SERVICE on 01782 591120.
THE BAL 25 YEAR GUARANTEE
BAL products are supplied with a 25 year product guarantee. For further details and/or copies please contact the Company’s marketing department.
The customer must verify the suitability of any information, opinion, recommendation or advice (“information”) provided by the Company for the particular application for which any goods are intended to be used and the Company accepts no liability (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) whatsoever for any loss, damage or expense arising from the misuse of any information it supplies, nor for the use of any information in or for applications which are unsuitable or inappropriate. Building Adhesives Ltd operates a continuous research and development programme and reserves the right to alter or to update information from time to time.
“Note: Any advice, opinion or information is given to assist the use of the Company’s products on the basis that the user will ensure its suitability for the application intended. In particular the Company cannot accept liability for loss or damage which may arise from incorrect use of its products or from poor workmanship. The Company operates a continuous research and development programme and reserves the right to update information without notice.”
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- TN 01.23 - Use of Cement Based Products in Warm Weather
- TN 02.23 Tiling to Asphalt Floors
- TN 03.23 - Use of Primers and Bonding Agents
- TN 04.23 - Ceramic & Natural Stone Floor Tiling to Heated Sub-floors
- TN 05.23 Tiling A Small External Patio & Ground Floor Terrace
- TN 06.23 Common Issues With Grouting
- TN 07.23 Deflection of Sub-Floors and Rigid Finish
- TN 08.23 Screed Drying Times
- TN 09.23 Types of Movement in Tiling Installations
- TN 10.23 - Heavily Trafficked Floors & Hard Wheeled Traffic